Sprinkles, sprinkles, sprinkles, sprinkles…
Make sure you have a Dustbuster handy when working with sprinkles.
Seriously. It’s like the glitter of baking–it gets everywhere.
But, like its cousin, powdered sugar, it is the fairy dust of baking–it makes everything better.
Crummy pancake? BAM! Birthday-breakfast-supreme.
Sloppy cake? BAM! Cake Boss-worthy creation (gotta love Buddy 🙂 )
Plain donut hole? BAM! Your favorite kind (I’m lookin’ at you, Dunkin’ Donuts munchkins…)
See what I mean? It’s magic.
The recipe for today makes *two* chocolate, cream-filled cupcakes with Oreo frosting. Perfect for satisfying a late night craving without making 40 bajillion leftover cupcakes
you end up giving to your cats to eat. (Ahh, don’t do that. Not a good idea.)
They’re also vegan, if I have any vegan readers out there, this is the recipe for you! And chocolate-lovers everywhere, of course. Which is pretty much the entire population of Earth (unless you’re my brother who prefers vanilla).
These cupcakes are moist, they’re rich & spongy & chocolatey beyond words. The frosting is more of a dark-chocolate kind of frosting, but not dark chocolate. It doesn’t taste like conventional milk chocolate frosting, but more like what an Oreo cookie would taste like in frosting-form. The secret is to use Dutch-processed cocoa powder in making it, which has a different flavor than normal cocoa.
To give the cupcake that cream-filling-flavor that an Oreo has (which, in an actual Oreo, contains no dairy…), you scoop out the center of the cupcake once they’re done cooking and pipe/spoon in about a teaspoon of marshmallow fluff swirled with a bit of vanilla. And, of course, sprinkles are optional, but hey, if you’re eating an Oreo cupcake of all things, why not top it with sprinkles?
What you’ll need…
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder (regular or Dutch)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- dash salt
- 2 tablespoons cold water + more if needed
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- Few drops vanilla
- Handful of chocolate chips
- About 2 tablespoons of marshmallow fluff
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease/line two muffin holes in a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine water, oil, & vanilla.
- Mix dry into wet and pour into two holes. To reach correct consistency, add water as needed. Top with chocolate chips & bake for 15-16 minutes.
- Once cool, scoop out a divet in the middle of the cupcakes & fill with marshmallow fluff. Frost, top with sprinkles, & enjoy!
For the frosting:
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon & 2 teaspoons Dutch (or regular) cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk of choice
- pinch salt (omit if using salted butter)
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl and chill while cupcakes are baking (this helps it thicken).
- Spread on cupcakes using a butter knife or fill a small bag and pipe on.
Adapted from this recipe here.