I have a confession to make.
I had never tried puppy chow until last night.
Sure, I’d seen the recipes on Pinterest and various food blogs and bake sales but I’d never actually eaten it.
Until last night.
My fabulous friend (who on SGL I will refer to as Lizzardbacon 😉 ) had a party and set a bowl of puppy chow out for everyone to eat. Earlier I’d mentioned to her that I’d never tried it and she practically barricaded the bowl until I’d had a bite or six.
Oh. My. Goodness.
What have I been waiting for?
It is delicious.
I’m sure you already knew that, though.
I mean, the ingredients are literally chex cereal, chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and sugar. It’s got to be flippin’ irresistable!
If you know anything about me, I’m a sucker for anything peanut butter-related, so of course I was going to try the original recipe.
Funny story. So I was at CVS earlier and just happened to see a box of Rice Chex. Am I the only one who didn’t know CVS sold cereal? Or is this a new thing? 😛
In a large bowl (and I mean jumbo-sized bowl. I used the biggest one I had and still had spillage. Consider yourself warned!) measure yourself nine whole cups of some Chex cereal (I used Rice Chex, which are GF, and am trying to justify eating as much as I have by saying they’re GF. Good job, Grace.) or you could just use the entire box. Whichever’s easier.
In a medium-sized bowl, you’ll add in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, 1/4 cup of peanut butter (oh yes!), and 1/4 cup of regular butter (salted or unsalted). Pop that in the microwave and melt in 20 second intervals until the mixture is smooth and stir-able.
Once it’s a melty, chocolaty, peanut-buttery concoction of pure deliciousness, you’ll pour that over the bowl of Chex cereal. I used a rubber spatula to combine it all–this is where you’ll need a big bowl, or else some major spillage will be in your future. Once the cereal’s all coated, you’ll pour it in a gallon-sized bag and add in just over a boat load of powdered sugar.
Now comes the fun part!
Shake that bad boy until it’s allllll coated in powdered sugar.
you eat it. All of it.
Because once you have a taste, you’ll need more. And more. And then more. 😀
Let’s get to it, shall we? (Mostly so I can eat more!)
What you’ll need… (this makes a large batch!)
- 9 c. Chex cereal
- 1/4 c. peanut butter
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 & 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- In a very large bowl, measure out the nine cups of Chex. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the peanut butter, the regular butter (salted or unsalted is fine), and the chocolate chips. Pop in the microwave and melt in 20 second intervals until the mixture is smooth and easily stirred. Add in the vanilla.
- Pour the melted mixture over the Chex cereal and coat evenly.
- Dump the chocolate-coated Chex into a gallon-sized seal-able bag. Add in the powdered sugar and seal the bag. Shake vigorously until all of the Chex is evenly coated in powdered sugar.
Original recipe here.