Creamy, homemade vanilla ice cream is sandwiched between chewy, fudgy chocolate cookies that are like regular ol’ Oreos more fabulous cousin.
Could you ask for anything better? 😉
Each bite is chewy—
it’s creamy and sweet and oh-so-satisfying.
These pictures don’t do these decadent little morels justice! For one, the ice cream decided it didn’t want to be helpful and photogenic and it melted allllll over the place. Secondly, my camera decided it didn’t want to focus. Frustration really set in once I uploaded the photos to my computer and found almost half unusable! What a world, what a world. 😀
Oh, but do they make up for it in taste.
Let’s start off with the filling. Unlike traditional Oreos, these have a vanilla ice cream filling. I thought that these would be a little more summery using ice cream instead of the traditional cream filling (which actually has no cream in it…) but feel free to stuff these with your favorite frosting. Delicious! Or swap out the vanilla for chocolate, or mint chip, or coffee…mmm…. 😉
Onto the cookies themselves!
Above you see a picture of what looks like regular ol’ cocoa powder.
Operative words: looks like
It still is cocoa powder, but a special type. For these cookies, you’ll want to use dutch-processed cocoa powder (or Hershey’s Special Dark) which will give it that richer, Oreo-like taste. It turns the dough super-dark and makes it extra delicious. Trust me, that dough is dangerous. 😀
With the cookies, chilling time is mandatory. Only a half-hour or so, so don’t get too worried. Once you put them in the fridge, that’s when you’ll preheat your oven, clean up whatever mess you’ve made so far, etcetera, etcetera. 🙂
On a greased cookie sheet, you’ll roll them into balls using a teaspoon or so of dough each. You could use more, of course, for larger cookies. I like mine to be snack-sized. 😀
Here you can sort of see the size comparison.
Other than that, they’re super easy to make and pretty stinkin’ delicious!
C’mon now, go ahead and make yourself some ice cream Oreos. You know you want to!
What you’ll need…
For the cookies:
- 1 & 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
For the filling:
- your favorite vanilla ice cream or your favorite frosting
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand or hand-held mixer, beat the softened butter until light and creamy.
- Add in the sugars, beating well until combined.
- Beating on low speed, add in the egg and vanilla and continue mixing until even.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, keeping the mixer going on low speed until everything is combined. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Cover the dough and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Chilling time is mandatory!
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease or line some cookie sheets. Set aside.
- Once the cookies are ready to be baked, roll into small balls and bake for 6-8 minutes. Do not overdo these cookies! They may look slightly underdone fresh out of the oven but will firm as they cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare whatever filling you choose. Be sure the cookies are cooled completely before adding in your filling, or else it will become a runny (albeit delicious) mess.
Original recipe here.
I also put together a little video while I was making these. It’s not the highest quality, but I thought it was cute! 🙂 Enjoy!