Happy Friday, everybody!
I know, I know, I’ve been lazy this week. My last post was last week’s SLBW, and I’m putting up the next one tomorrow… :O Now, I don’t really have an excuse…but maybe these adorable little tarts will change your mind?
These sunny little tarts are bursting with lemony goodness encased in a buttery, flaky pastry. They’re pretty darn simple to make, especially if you use store-bought lemon curd and pastry, and the presentation is unbeatable! Bring these to any summer get-together and they are sure to be a hit. 🙂
I also made them with one of my best buddies (Anna :D), which is why the set up is a little different–she wasn’t even fazed when I complimented her pretty (and photogenic!) countertop. I mean, have you seen mine? All black and green and grey granite. 😉
Like I said, you use store bought pastry and lemon curd, and these take no time at all. My friend and I went half way and bought premade pie crusts and made the curd ourselves. I’ll include how to make the curd in the recipe (because believe me when I say you will want to eat it all with a spoon, even if it is a little labor-intensive). 😀 And making the little flower pastry cups was simpler than simple–you stamp out your flower shapes with a cookie cutter in the pie crusts, fit ’em in a muffin tin, and bake ’em til they’re golden. 😉 Perfection.
Enough rambling from me–let’s get to it!
What you’ll need…
For the pastry:
- 1 box of premade pie crusts
- 1 flower-shaped cookie cutter
For the lemon curd***:
- 3 lemons
- 1 & 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 c. lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease a muffin pan and set aside.
- Take the lemons and zest all of them, being careful to avoid the white pith.
- Roll out the premade pie crust. Stamp out flower shapes in the dough and place inside the muffin tin so that the petals form a little cup-like shape.
- Place the pan in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the pastry is golden. Set aside to cool.
- Taking the lemon zest and sugar, pulse together in a food processor until the zest and sugar are well-combined.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy and then add in the lemon-sugar mixture, beating until combined.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, followed by the lemon juice and salt. Beat until everything is smooth.
- Pour the mixture in a medium-sized saucepan. Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until mixture is translucent and thick, stirring constantly.
- Once the lemon curd reaches the desired texture, remove from heat and allow to cool. Spoon about a tablespoon into the center of each pastry cup. Top with powdered sugar.
- Enjoy! 😀
***Feel free to use store-bought lemon curd in place of what’s listed. If you choose to, skip steps 5-8.
Original lemon curd recipe here.